Single Family Home

Standard home insurance coverage policies provide the following types of coverage, up to the limits outlined in the policies:

  • Dwelling—Pays for damage or destruction to your house and any unattached structures and buildings, such as fences, detached garages, and storage sheds.
  • Personal Property—Covers the contents of your house, including furniture, clothing, and appliances, if they are stolen, damaged, or destroyed.
  • Liability—Protects against financial loss if you are sued and found legally responsible for someone else's injury or property damage.
  • Medical Payments—Covers medical bills for people hurt on your property. Medical payments coverage also pays for some injuries that may happen away from your home, such as if your dog bites someone.
  • Loss of Use—Pays for additional living expenses if your home is too damaged to live in during repairs. Most standard home insurance coverage pays 10 to 20 percent of the amount of your dwelling coverage.
You also can purchase the following optional home insurance coverages:
  • Guaranteed Replacement Cost—Provides the most complete coverage for your home. Your home insurance company requires you to meet specific underwriting rules and conditions to qualify for this coverage. For instance, you may need to increase your home insurance amount on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis to keep up with the inflation rate.
  • Inflation Guard Endorsement—Automatically adjusts your home insurance limits during your policy period so they are at 80 percent or more of your home's replacement cost, which is the amount most home insurance companies require you to have. This coverage is beneficial if your home's replacement cost is increasing with inflation.
  • Scheduled Personal Property Endorsement—Also called a personal article floater, this covers possessions, including jewelry, furs, stamps, coins, guns, computers, antiques, etc. Each article is itemized and detailed in the floater, and excluded perils also are outlined. Personal article floaters often do not have deductibles.
  • Increased Limits on Money and Securities—Increases coverage amounts for money, bank notes, securities, deeds, and more.
  • Secondary Residence Premises Endorsement—Covers a secondary residence, such as a summer home. Insurance for secondary homes is not automatically provided by the home insurance policy you have for your primary or principal residence, so it's important to consider this endorsement if you own more than one home.
  • Watercraft Endorsement—Expands personal liability and medical payments coverage for small sailboats and outboard motor boats only.
  • Theft Coverage Protection Endorsement—If items from your motor vehicle, trailer, or watercraft are stolen, theft coverage protection broadens coverage without requiring proof of forcible entry.
  • Credit Card Forgery and Depositors Forgery Coverage Endorsement—Applies if your credit cards are lost, stolen, or used without permission, or if someone forges a check, draft, promissory note, etc. Certain restrictions apply and are noted in your home insurance policy.

Home Insurance Coverage — What Isn't Covered

A standard homeowners’ policy may not protect you from:
  • Flood, Earthquake, Nuclear Accident, and War—To protect against unforeseen and uncontrollable events like these, you can purchase hazard insurance through your home insurance policy.
Let Westrock Insurance analyze your existing homeowners’ policy and determine whether you need additional coverage and/or you’re paying too much for the coverage you have. Click here to find out how.